Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bit of Background on the Upcoming Surgery

If you've found this blog because - like me - you've been trolling for as much information as you could to prepare for your surgery, let me give you the Reader's Digest version on how I got here (oh, and good luck on your surgery, too!)

A year and a half-ish ago I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. It was benign, but was wreaking havoc on my endocrine system. One of the things it did was give me acromeglia, which is where all of the soft tissue in your body keeps growing when it shouldn't.

About 6 months after diagnosis and surgery for the tumor, I was still constantly tired and worn down, so I had a sleep study done. Turns out the acromeglia had caused the tissue in my throat to grow as well as caused my tongue to grow, giving me sleep apnea. For nearly a year now I've been trying to use the CPAP machine to keep the apnea at bay, but it is just not working. So my doc and I started to discuss MMA. (Compared to the less invasive soft tissue surgery, MMA has a higher sucess rate, and oddly enough is purported to hurt less than the whole tonsil shebang. Huh. Let's hope both of those are true. )

I can't say I'm looking forward to a second major surgery in less than 18 months, nor that whole having-my-mouth-banded-together part, but I *am* looking forward to not having to lug that machine with me if I ever plan on sleeping anywhere other than my house, or taping my mouth shut every night, or waking up with gas pains from being inflated from my machine, or having to sleep elevated all the time, or just never ever feeling rested anyhow. I can't say I mind that part where I'll lose a few pounds either. :)

Anyhow, hope that bit of background helps.

No comments: