Tuesday, October 21, 2008

T Minus 6 and Counting

Well, if the surgery is on Monday (which it is,) is that 6? Or is that 5? I'm never sure. Maybe I should use the measurement of 'sleeps' like we do on Mags: "My surgery is in 6 more sleeps." Which is kind of ironic if you take into account the fact that I kind of don't sleep. But soon, grasshopper, soon.


Went in for my second and final pre-op today. Dragged Husband along with me so that he too could get the skinny on what to expect. For the most part it went pretty well. First we did a last minute dash to the hospital to grab some test results for the doc. Made it to the appointment with time to spare. Got the well-rehearsed list of what to expect from the doctor, who then answered any questions we might have. Great. Then came in one of the pre-surgery nurses who gave us a bunch of paperwork on where to go in the hospital, what time to be there, and what to bring. Check. Then came in the insurance gal, who told us we didn't *quite* have the paperwork we needed, and that we'd need to write a very, big, fat check. Crap pants.

We got things straightened away enough so that at least the surgery will still happen. Was not real thrilled to be stressing out about insurance AGAIN, much less being back on the phone with them, or wondering if we'll be able to eat next month after writing that check (well, *I* wasn't too worried; soup is not really that expensive. ;] ), but it looks like it'll all shake out.

I was very pleased that the doctor, in going through his normal schpeel, mentioned that as I have a pretty 'strong chin' to begin with - so smooth! so tactful! - that they were going to try and 'soften' my chin during the surgery to try and keep everything as proportioned and aesthetically pleasing as they could. I really appreciated that a) he had put enough thought into it so that I didn't have to ask and b) so that *I* didn't have to ask. In talking to my surgery-specific therapist last night, she told me in no uncertain terms that I really needed to be blunt with the doc about this before the surgery. She reinforced that there is nothing wrong with being concerned about aethetics/image, and that frankly if you'e not happy about the way you look after the surgery you may get depressed which then slows down your recovery too. Best to just say it (says the extrovert doctor.) 'Twas some very good advice. Actually, she said several things that I really needed to hear and I'm really glad I went.**

Still have some stuff I need to knock of the list. That's how it goes these days: run errands, nap, make phone calls, nap. But its all coming together. I'm not super worried as I still have 6 days until the surgery. Or is it 5?

**After some last minute scrambling to get an appointment, last night was my first session with this therapist. You could tell in playing phone tag she was somewhat irritated that I was trying to get this together the week before my surgery. But after meeting her and getting all my details, she actually stopped to appologize for her manner on the phone, which I was very surprised - and grateful - for. I'd been prepared to kind of brush it aside, but getting that from her really meant a lot.

Note to self: the next time I have my face rearranged, get a therapist more than 7 (or is it 6?) days before the surgery.

No comments: