Monday, November 10, 2008

A Good Idea Pays Off

I had a thousand and one things to do before the surgery. So of course what I spent my time on was stuff like making sure I'd dropped off my film, and cleaning the carpets and surfing the web. But there was one thng I'm glad I spent the time on. I grabbed a stack of Mags' books and spent a few hours one day reading them all into Husband's digital voice recorder (geek.) That way after teh surgery I could still sit Mags on my lap, we could listen to the recordings together, and we could still effectively have book time every night, just like normal.

I got about 20 books done - not quite as many as I'd hoped - and never did get them uploaded to the computer to be burned to disks. I never did get the stickers on the book spines so Mags would know which books I had recorded. The loaner boom box I got must've been circe 1990; it was nearly the size of a child's riding toy. The new recliner was a bit of a squeeze for anything more than me and my pillow. And sometime between me going to the hospital and returning, the voice recorder got lost.

But the other day, after nearly two weeks, the recorder turned up. My kid and I figured out which books were recorded, even without the stickers. The recliner ended up being big enough for the both of us. Mags held the recorder as I held her and together we listened to a handful of her favorite stories.

(happy sigh)

3 comments:

Traveling Em said...

Oh, I'm so glad you got the chance to do that. I always thought that was a great idea :)

Anonymous said...

oh yay!

my "secret word" to prove to your blog that i'm human is "hinarbin". i think it's telling me what you should do with your weekends once you start feeling better.

mama pajama said...

Field trip!