Saturday, November 15, 2008

Off the Hard Stuff

Which reminds me:

I've been off the pain meds (OxyContin) for almost 5 whole days now (just shy of the three week post surgery mark for reference,) and I'm fine. Stopped taking it because I really could not stay awake, but also because I was having terrible, wake-up-screaming kind of nightmares, which is a Bad Thing on several different levels. (Not sure they were even from the meds, but wanted to try. YMMV.)

Its actually gone really well, and I've found I really didn't need it anymore. True, there is still that odd achiness from the braces, but while that is a strong sensation and definitely grabs your attention, it doesn't actually hurt, per se. Plus, I found that the OxyMumble didn't really address that sensation so much to begin with.

Now that I'm off the meds, I am awake almost all day (still sleepy bits, but I no longer have narcolepsy,) I sleep better at night, my brain feels 100% clearer, and I can take a s*** without having to have an epidural first. (Drink lots of fluids, get fiber supplements, bathe in prune juice -- it takes extra extra work to keep yourself regular while ingesting a narcotic.)

Immediately post-surgery, this stuff was great and did the trick. Initially recovering back at home this stuff was a godsend. But it does become unnecessary, and possibly even sooner than you might imagine. Looking back I almost wish I'd started cutting back a day or two sooner. I didn't realize how vaguely...unpleasant the meds made me feel when I didn't need them. Dunno how Rush Limbaugh did it.

Oh, I do occasionally take a bit of children's liquid ibuprofen these days if I'm feeling pained. Mostly its to kind of knock back the cold a bit, but it does help somewhat with the swelling and slight discomfort I still get in my face sometimes.

No comments: