Saturday, November 15, 2008

Zip n Squeeze

Which reminds me:

If you are going to have this (or a similar surgery) done, I do suggest picking up some Zip n Squeeze bags for the purpose of eating/drinking once you get home. I personally did not think they were the be-all-end-all** of post-surgery feeding technology, but they will definitely get the job done. A few pointers when using them, though.

1) Don't microwave them. Possibly an obvious thing to say, but Husband did do this a few times, and even with short times, it will slowly start to melt some of the seams. Be warned.

2) Make sure your food is thin enough. The more liquid-y, the better.

3) ALWAYS use the extra safety clip across the top. It is suggested you use this only when putting greasy foods in the bag, but I had more than one experience of ending up wearing whatever was in the bag because the zip seal failed. Bit of insult to injury, if you know what I mean.

Personally I was really happy with the feeding syringe they sent me home with from the hospital. I didn't think it required any extra dexterity. Actually I thought it was much more efficient in its food delivery method than the bags, which I felt you had to kind of chase the food/liquids around in, or start rolling the bags up like toothpaste tubes or the like to get everything out. The only real reason I switched over was because the seal started to break down on the syringe, and suddenly the friction was too great to draw in/squeeze out whatever was in there. Meh. At the very least I'd still suggest bringing one or two home from the hospital for taking pain meds, though.

1 comment:

Bella said...

I thought the syringes did the job just fine, too. Though I did find the Zip n' Squeeze handy for salt water rinses and drinking larger quantities of juice, etc.